Friday, March 12, 2010

Variety!

I haven't been in the 'losing weight' category of my work outs since I am pregnant, but maintaining and remaining healthy has always been a goal through my first pregnancy.  One of the challenges of keeping my motivation is that I get bored because I do the same work out every single day/week.  Then I decide I can skip one day here and there and then the next thing you know a month has gone by.

This month BYU-H has a special on all their aerobic classes.  I talked to my OB and she told me to 'go for it'.  I need to keep active for my health and for my sanity, so I signed up for 15 classes this month.  I go 3 times a week to a different class.  BYU-H offers a wide variety and I love it!

So far I've done Zumba (my fav), Yoga (another fav), & Turbo Kickboxing on a medium scale.  There is also Tahitian, Boot Camp, Stability and Stretch, and a few more.  I love that I'm not spending much, but also staying committed to the classes.  I have a feeling I will keep up with Yoga and Zumba since each class is different with either various routines, instructors or poses that we do.  I love it!

So amongst all the craziness, I've been learning alot about things that I can do after.  One big hype, especially in Utah is the 'HCG' diet.  Has anyone heard about this or tried it?  I know diets aren't necessarily the way to go, but I saw someone do this diet for health reasons and it actually worked.  Any other opinions out there on this? 

Personally keeping to a diet is not my favorite, but just thought I'd ask.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen the HCG diet work for a lot of people. They lose it fast but the reason is they starve themselves literally... They are allowed 500 calories a day. They aren't allowed to work out because basically there is barely enough calories to keep them alive. I'm sorry if anyone is doing this I hate to be so negative but I don't think it is a good way to lose weight. My neighbor was going to start it and she told me they couldn't wear certain makeup because the body would absorb it because basically you aren't getting enough for your body so it absorbs your makeup to make up for it. I thought that was kinda crazy. They didn't end up doing it because her husband's heart doctor found out he was going to do it and he about flipped out. Anyhow, I think the best thing to do is just try and get in better eating habits and exercising. It sounds like you are doing great with exercising just work on eating nutritious and remember everything in moderation (def. something I need to work on). Sorry, hope that didn't come off rude just wanted to let you know what I know about it. Nice job with the classes that's awesome! I too love Zumba and did it all through my pregnancy up until about 8 1/2 months. When I started having contractions while i was dancing it wasn't very easy to do the moves anymore :) Good luck with your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't realize there was anyone else on here that lives in Laie! Are you jenny? i would like to do some sort of fitness class, but my husband's schedule makes it difficult so the best time for me to exercise is before he goes to work in the mornings, which usually means I go to the gym. Have you heard about water aerobics at Gunstock Ranch? My friend teaches there. It's MW at 8 pm and the first time is free; after that it's $4 per session (same as byuh, right?). I want to go to that one sometime, but I gotta get my baby more used to going to bed with my husband and not only me! Plus, by that time of day, I'm pretty exhausted.

    I'm pregnant, too, and as far as diet goes, I'm just trying to get my recommended amount of protein and calcium in every day, eating more fat free yogurt, cottage cheese, almonds, soy milk, spinach, etc. I find that with all of this extra "healthy" eating, I don't crave sweets as much. Another thing to recommend is making sure your carbs/starches are whole grains as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the HCG info. I didn't realize all that it lacked. I definitely like a more balanced lifestyle, so I'm sure I would have figured something else out.

    Robyn, I'm in Laie. I go to alot of aerobic classes. I LOVE ZUMBA right now. Great cardio, and I do Yoga for the stretching. The teachers modify alot for me (I'm 28 weeks now) so I can't do a few of the poses or moves in either class.

    Robyn email me and I can give you info! I haven't tried water aerobics, who teaches it?

    let's get in touch, jennyjensen44@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete